Sunday 29th April - Java Game Develpment Progress
So I had an itch to do some Java development this weekend (hence a new Java cheatsheet went up), and I dug out one of my old projects and spruced it up. The result is below. It still needs quite a lot of work, but the top priorities are:
- some buildings that you could enter (which would trigger a different map).
- physics to prevent walking on water and through blocks.
- basic multiplayer support with chat
- combat with arrows and swords.
- separation of the physics/gameloop thread and the rendering thread.
- a proper map editor and to use that to build a much bigger/better map.
Challenges - Art
The real difficulties are that I am not an artist, and as soon as I need something a little extra, I need to hunt for a free spritesheet that has it. E.g. I can't do a death animation on the character with my current spritesheet, so I would have to hunt for a completely new one. If I make real progress, I will probably end up buying some.