Creating Gmail Aliases
Creating aliases for your email account can be extremely useful for things like testing, and spam filtering.
- Emails that are sent to the alias will go to your account.
- You can set up filters to automatically archive/delete emails that went to that address.
- Good for when you are registering on sites that are likely to spam you.
- Allows you to create multiple email-based accounts on sites without actually having to set up new email accounts.
- This is particularly good for testing your own websites etc.
- By creating a specific email alias for every site that you register for, you can figure out which sites are selling your email onto other sites that then spam you.
To set up a gmail alias, simply add a
+ followed by a name for your alias.
For example if your email address was:
Then you could create any of the following aliases